08 December 2009

Mac & Cheese



So - Last night I made some mac & cheese - I updated my facebook status to reflect this achievement and WHOA - Holy requests for the recipe!! 

It was really yummy!
&&&
Super-Super Easy. 
With the exercise going on this week - The recipe is really filling and can easily be doubled. And - it is comfort food. Which is perfect for after their 12-hour shift to come home and the house smells good and the food tastes good.  And trust me... It.is.good.


I get most of my recipes from the Cook Yourself Thin Cookbook. 


I love it! The recipes are really easy to improvise, because as you may (or may not) know sometimes locating things at our commissary is mission impossible.
Here is the original recipe. In red is what I improvised.


2 cups multigrain elbow macaroni[No multigrain elbows here. So I used some shells.]
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup skim milk, warmed for 1 minute in the microwave, or heated on stove
8 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 1/4 cups)[I also added colby & monterey jack.]
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of pepper
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup Panko crumbs or whole-wheat bread crumbs [I used my whole wheat bread that I made Friday night. Yum!]

1. Preheat the broiler.

2. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.

3. While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly until golden, about 2 minutes. Continue whisking and add the milk in a slow, steady stream. Bring the mixture to a steady simmer, whisking constantly, and whisk until thickened, about 2 minutes.

4. Drain the pasta in a colander. Remove the sauce from the heat, add the cheese, and stir until the cheese melts. Immediately add the hot, drained pasta and stir until well-coated. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

5. Divide the mac and cheese among four 6-ounce ovenproof ramekins and sprinkle 1 tablespoon bread crumbs over each. Broil until crumbs are golden and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes, taking care not to let the top burn. Serve immediately. [I don't have ramekins, so I just plopped mine into one big baking dish and put it under the broiler.]





So this recipe is really easy and really filling. I served it with some marinated chicken that I sauteed with garlic and onion and I made some butter-herb brussel sprouts. 


Improvise with what you have! 


-K

No comments:

Post a Comment