21 January 2010

Harajuku (A Review)

This past Monday, a couple friends and I wandered down to Tokyo to do a little shopping. And of course that means a stop @ Harajuku. 

Harajuku was made famous (to Americans) by Gwen Stefani introducing her Harajuku Girls during her pop-solo phase.
Do you remember!?

Oh and these cute (but kinda creepy) perfume bottles from her Harajuku Lovers perfume line.


This is probably one of my favorite parts of the city. It is fashion at its best!
There is upscale shopping like Gucci & Louis Vuitton on Omotesando Street.
 


This is a crappy picture I took of Omotesando Dori, but if you can look really closely.. just check out how crowded it is!!! Yikes! 
Then there is my favorite place to shop...Takeshita Street. This is a pedestrian only street that is lined with famous and not-so-famous shops that offer various things at reasonable prices. My go-to store is the 500 yen store (about $5) and they sell cute earrings (2 for $5), necklaces, scarves, wallets, and hair accessories. I walked away with chandelier earrings and a new pashmina for under $10! Woo Hoo!
This is the entrance to the street - directly across from Harajuku station! 
 




Very crowded on the weekend. 
It is a must-do & must-see for tourists - even if you don't like shopping or fashion. It is quite the experience! It is worth it to see women (and men) dressed as life size dolls.


 

         And who could pass up a free hug?!
Not me! 

             
Want to experience what it feels like to be a canned sardine?
This is at the Harajuku train station on a Sunday afternoon.
Avoid at all costs!

Did I mention they have a 4-story Forever 21 and H&M - right next to each other!
How could you pass THAT up?

BUT - if you find that the fashion/crowds/life-size dolls are too much.. there are some tranquil places to go too.
Like Meiji Shrine:


Or Yoyogi Park:

These two places make it so you don't feel like you are in the city anymore.
It's amazing!
So if you ever find yourself in Tokyo, Harajuku should be on your list of things to see & do!
AND if you ever come to visit me - this is definitely something we will go and do!
My Mom and I went:

This is after we pushed our way through the crowd behind her... 
 crazy.



This weekend the Hubby and I are staying at a hotel in Tokyo for my birthday. He has yet to experience the Harajuku shopping.. Perhaps I will take him. 

Be Happy. The weekend is almost here! 

6 comments:

  1. I took a course in college on Japanese writers. One of the things we studied was the Harajuku! Oh, I thought I would let you know, too, that I stole your Letters of Grievances idea. Please feel free to check it out:
    disgruntledmarinegirlfriend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing so many cool pics- I love living vicariously through other people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must come over there, even if only to shop at that Forever 21 store!!!! It looks like you had a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of these days I'm going to visit Harajuku. I have a few friends that went there at least once a month or so. Where are you living at? Are you on Yokota AB?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday weekend!!!

    That place looks amazing. Maybe a little panic inducing with those crowds, but way worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great shopping experience. Have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete